Re: two blues jews

Responding to the message of <3B86FC4F(dot)74960121 (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Now we've really hit my area of expertise--Rock and Roll!
>
> If you'll go to this page you'll read some good stories:
>
> http://www.jewhoo.com/display_entries.asp?p_category_id=&p_parent_id=
>
> BTW, Stephen Stills was the one you left off the mention of SuperSessions.
> Not a Jew?

Not according to 'Great Jews in Music' or 'Jews Who Rock.'  Btw, I think maybe
as many as three of the four members of the Siegel-Schwall Blues band were yidn.
The degree to which the early white blues bands were Jewish is pretty striking.
There's a pretty impressive list of Jews involved in early rock, too, though
rarely as performers.  In the case of the blues, though, this is mostly of
historical interest to me.  All my favorite blues artists are African-American
and, although I used to have a number of the lp's noted in this thread, I'd
never seek them out now.  It's all pretty synthetic sounding compared to the
inventors of the art form.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 612 624-8001 (fax)