Re: Two more queries (!)

Robert,
The Karmon Israeli Dancers and Singers record is "Israel Sings."
It may even still be available on CD, like many other gems from
the Vanguard catalogue.

The lyrics booklet, by Gil Aldema, describes it as "Lyrics: Ch. N.
Bialik, to a folk song," and the record jacket says that the "melodies
of the songs 'Harakefet' and 'Lo Bayom Velo Balayla' are Jewish folk
[melodies] from Eastern Europe." (If I remember correctly, "Harakefet"
corresponds to "Margaritkelekh" in Yiddish.)

In "lo bayom v'lo balayla" a young woman asks an acacia (shita)
about her basherter. In the Yiddish version,  di verbe, she asks
a willow. The Yiddish song appears in the Mloteks' "Pearls of
Yiddish Song."  The translator into Yiddish is listed as "I. Ma
Yofis" (sic) [pseudonym for ...?] and the words and music are
listed as having been "published by Michel Gelbart in 1937-38."

Lee