Re: Humor: QUOTES BY FAMOUS MUSICIANS

>"I think popular music in this country is one of the few things in the
>20th century that have made giant strides in reverse."
>-Bing Crosby

Actually, judging from the recent (I think basically sympathetic) biography
of the first half of Crosby's life and career, it was *Crosby's* music that
took a consistent, and *deliberate,* path "backward" (from somewhat
inventive/fresh/jazzy to mass-market shlocky) in the course of much of the
century.  But then, unlike his biographer (Gary Giddins, I think--a writer
w/ many jazz credits, anyway), I never cared for Crosby at all.  He's the
(in, granted, stereotypical but I think not totally invalid terms)
WASPy/cool/nonvulnerable/don't show your feelings counterpart to, at his
best, Sinatra's intense/vulnerable singing.  You *never* see right into
Crosby's soul, or heart, when he's singing--and he wanted it that way.

I guess what his statement comes down to is that the movement from "White
Christmas" and "Would You Like to Swing on a Star" (though Crosby _did_,
anomalously, sing Yip Harburg's "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?") to
"Violets of Dawn," "Mr. Tambourine Man," and "Both Sides Now" ("Clouds") is
a *downward* movement of meaning, richness, depth, metaphor, or what have
you--and I could, of course, pick any of *hundreds* (or thousands) of songs,
from dozens or scores or hundreds of other, mostly lesser-known songwriters,
for my last three examples.

Just more of that Golden Age crapola (er, on the Victrola) --

Robert Cohen