Re: Barenboim and Wagner

Several points:

1.  The playing of Wagner is NOT disallowed in Israel.  Works by Wagner are
played on Israel radio, by the Israel Philharmonic, and by other orchestras
in israel.  The taboo on Wagner's works in Israel ended more than a decade
ago, though the issue does come up occasionally.

2.  The suggestion in Steve Stowe's email that Barenboim could not pick the
program is wrong.  Barenboim picked the works on the program.  That is the
conductor's prerogative.  If anything is improper here, it is the Israeli
parliament and Israeli politicians making rules about what music can and
cannot be played.  We do not have Entartete Kunst in Israel.  Olmert's
comment that  "It's not [Barenboim's] job to determine whether the State of
Israel decides to allow Wagner to be heard or not"  is both absurd and
deeply offensive.

3.  As for the substance of the objection to Wagner's music because it was
favored by the Nazis:

a) The music of Richard Strauss is played frequently in Israel, and no one
objects.  Richard Strauss was not merely a Nazi, he was Minister of Culture
in Hitler's government.

b) Wagner's music was an inspiration to the Nazis.  It was also an
inspiration to Liszt, Mahler, Bruckner, Schoenberg, Kurt Weill, and dozens
of others.  Musical idioms that have become common coinage of modern
classical and popular music were invented by Wagner.  Hitler liked Beethoven
a lot.

c) I have heard the "Seven Blessings" sung by an ultraorthodox rabbi in
Israel to the tune of Wagner's wedding march.

In sum: a lot of great composers had really repulsive ideas.  A lot of
really repulsive people liked the music of this or that great composer.  In
the final analysis, the music speaks for itself.  And governments should not
censor art.

Joel Epstein
Moshav Magshimim, Israel
tel: 972-3-9333316