Re: song mythology

And I guess comparable mythology arises around composed songs that gives
them the history of (in a traditional, not very valid sense as exclusively
defined) "folk songs"--an elaboration of the process by which
"Trad[itional]" and "Anon[ymous]" are, as is well known, the two most common
composers of "folk" songs.

The folksinger Rod Macdonald was once congratulated for showing a fondness
for old, traditional songs (as opposed to young upstarts) after he sang his
(own) song "Sailor's Prayer" to a group of, I believe, sailors.

Si Kahn was told in England, I gather, that his song about a city's being
left for dead when its industrial mill closed--I can't remember the title;
great song--was a "traditional" folk song--went back generations.

Lee Hays of the Weavers used to puncture this sort of stuff with his
customary sardonicism when he would introduce a song by saying, "Here's an
old folk song that we wrote last week."

In a really bizarre example, I was shown a video of some sort of Jewish
teens retreat, or whatever, in Europe--maybe _in_ Poland, in fact--in which
the kids, prior to chanting Debbie Friedman's lovely Havdalah blessings
together, were advised that this was an ancient melody, handed down over the
generations and sung in the Warsaw Ghetto!!!

--Robert Cohen