Re: more on Nigun Atik

The history of the dance in the SOFDH publication is quite convoluted and
confusing, with different versions popping up all over the place.  What is
funny though is that like the miserlou, a mythology evolved about Nigun
Atik.  They quote one publication from Duluth that says "[Nigun Atik]
originated by Jews who came to Israel from the area of Yemen a small country
in the southwest corner of the Arabian peninsula."
I frequently encounter people who are very surprised to find out that
Israeli dances do not come from the bible.  A few times people have said I'm
ruining it for them when I reveal that these dances were  created by modern
choreographers over the past 50-60 years or so.
Helen Winkler
winklerh (at) hotmail(dot)com
Helen's Yiddish Dance Page
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/helenwinkler