JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1949

Dear list members,

I'd like to add my comments about John Cage's aesthetic to Jeff Schanzer's
note: Cage did, indeed, consider all sounds music.  When we were recording
his "Ryoanji for Voice and Percussion" a plane flew over and was clearly
heard when we listened to the play-back together.  His comment: "It's
BEAUTIFUL! Leave it in!"  It's a nice addition to a very gentle piece.
Morton Feldman, a very noisy character, wrote music which often contained
more rests than sounds, and the dynamic range of those sounds usually went
from pppp to mezzo piano.  New York affected the two in opposite ways, as
Jeff says.

Isabelle Ganz