Annette Ezekiel of Golem (was RE: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1949)

> At 12:09 AM 7/6/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >"A pistol"?--means what (he asks, obviously obtusely)?
>

> Means variously, "a real firecracker," "a red hot tamale," "a real
> rooty-tooty," "the bee's knees," and other similarly dated phrases I
> learned from my mother that I use to amuse my 13 year old son.
> "Pistol" I
> thought still had some modern currency. Come on, Bob!   She was
> energetic,
> brassy, good and fun to hear and watch....

Indeed, a couple of years ago Annette brought the house down at KlezKamp
with an outrageous punkified version of "Mekhuteneste Mayne."

Well, at least she brought OUR house down -- maybe not everyone's.

It was memorable -- I still remember it.

Seth Rogovoy
author of "The Essential Klezmer: A Music Lover's Guide to Jewish Roots and
Soul"
?The music of my childhood memories came flooding back through the decades
as I read. Maybe, as Seth Rogovoy suggests, it?s time for our music to
awaken once more to an entirely new generation. Incredibly detailed and
comprehensive, this book is a lot more than Essential!? -- folk music legend
Arlo Guthrie