Re: music and words

>I would argue that this is not solely a matter of education, and that >this
>is one case where failing to hear the Jewish musical component is >hearing
>what the music writer claims to have intended, although, >obviously, there
>=is= Yiddish folk content, and to ears that understand >(even partly, as is
>true in my personal case) the words, the music is> >quite moving and quite
>emotional in ways that won't and can't speak to >someone who doesn't know
>=any= Yiddish.

>ari

I find this startling and can't imagine it's true, because music speaks to
us--and (emotionally) moves us precisely in a way that transcends
language--which is why, surely, all of us (well anyway, this is certainly so
of me!) can be deeply, deeply moved--to inner tears or joy--by songs sung in
languages we don't understand.

Three of a zillion possible examples:

"Daragoi Da, Daragoi" (Russian) from the Pennywhistlers (w/ Theodore Bikel),
A COOL DAY & CROOKED CORN--aching/yearning, for want of better (and,
precisely, superfluous) words

"Harbstlid" (Yiddish) from ZUMERTEG:  NEW SONGS BY BEYLE
SCHAECHTER-GOTTESMAN--exquisitely plaintive; breaks your heart

"Ode to Joy" (German) from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony--exuberant and
ennobling and whatever else you feel

--Robert Cohen