Re: music and words

>>I would argue that this is not solely a matter of education, and that
>>this is one case where failing to hear the Jewish musical component is
>>hearing what the music writer claims to have intended, although,
>>obviously, there =is= Yiddish folk content, and to ears that understand
>>(even partly, as is true in my personal case) the words, the music is>
>>quite moving and quite emotional in ways that won't and can't speak to
>>someone who doesn't know =any= Yiddish.
>

>I find this startling and can't imagine it's true, because music speaks to
>us--and (emotionally) moves us precisely in a way that transcends
>language--which is why, surely, all of us (well anyway, this is certainly so
>of me!) can be deeply, deeply moved--to inner tears or joy--by songs sung in
>languages we don't understand.

Robert, are you confusing the idea that music speaks to us, surely, with the
idea that someone who is informed in a specific language and/or music might
hear more than the casual listener?

Surely, no one who has heard "di krenitse" (the Well) would argue that it
speaks to people, regardless of musical knowledge. My point was that listeners
unfamliar with Yiddish appeared not to hear it as a Yiddish album--it sounded
like a lovely world folk album, similar, say, to La Negresse Vertes (sp?).
(Other items I mentioned confirmed that Alberstein seemed to have deliberately
chosen from her entire, and very broad musical palette in writing the music,
and Ben Mink, the producer, indicated likewise.)

ari