RE: What happened to MURRAY LEHRER

Cornelis van Sliedregt [mailto:sliedregt (at) knoware(dot)nl] wrote:

Questions are:
- where and when did he live, or is still alive?
- what was his profession, (musical director?), did he play an instrument
- did he play any other music?
- did he made any more klezmer recordings?

Maybe someone can offer more information, but Murray Lehrer does not appear in
my 1937 American Federation of Musicians Local 802 directory. The Social
Security Death Benefits Index (at http://www.ancestry.com, perhaps elsewhere on
the net too) lists three Murray Lehrers who died after 1962. One, whose dates
are 1894-1966, resided in Westchester, NY; another, 1910-1983, at Pompano
Beach, Florida; and finally, 1917-1986, at Nassau, NY. I'd vote for the last
one, since he wasn't in the union in 1937. The final possibility is that he is
still alive.  Period/Request records had some interesting releases. I think the
Period label dates from the late '50s, and Request was active in the '60s and
'70s, reissuing Period.

Paul Gifford