Re: FW: neil diamond.....

Does that make Danny Thomas an honorary Jew?

Bob

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ari Davidow" <ari (at) ivritype(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: FW: neil diamond.....

> >note the names of a few of Neil Diamond's new songs .... "Elijah's
> >Song," "Leave A Little Room For God,"
> >
> >Could the Jewish author of songs like "Soolaimon" and "Brother
Love's
> >Traveling Salvation Show"  be about to become a genuine Jewish
songwriter?

> >Needless to say we all await his new album with great
expectations....

> To me, the question is whether or not there is going to be a musical
reason to listen to the album! I don't think anyone doubts that
someone who felt a compulsion to remake "The Jazz Singer" wants to
frame some of his music as explicitly Jewish. On the other hand, if
the new album speaks to people musically and lyrically, that would,
indeed, be worth recognizing!

> But I think we've discussed some of this territory before. I'm less
convinced that explicit Jewish keywords are the best way of figuring
out that a songwriter has something to say Jewishly--a possible sign,
to be sure, but count me among those who has yet to find anything
"jewish" about the band, "Silver Jews," for instance.

> ari

jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->