Re: FW: neil diamond.....

>note the names of a few of Neil Diamond's new songs .... "Elijah's
>Song," "Leave A Little Room For God,"
>
>Could the Jewish author of songs like "Soolaimon" and "Brother Love's
>Traveling Salvation Show"  be about to become a genuine Jewish songwriter?
>
>Needless to say we all await his new album with great expectations....

To me, the question is whether or not there is going to be a musical reason to
listen to the album! I don't think anyone doubts that someone who felt a
compulsion to remake "The Jazz Singer" wants to frame some of his music as
explicitly Jewish. On the other hand, if the new album speaks to people
musically and lyrically, that would, indeed, be worth recognizing!

But I think we've discussed some of this territory before. I'm less convinced
that explicit Jewish keywords are the best way of figuring out that a
songwriter has something to say Jewishly--a possible sign, to be sure, but
count me among those who has yet to find anything "jewish" about the band,
"Silver Jews," for instance.

ari