Re: Question on use of klezmer music

Dear Listers,

Re: Trombones at funerals, Alex Lubet responded:
In a message dated 6/10/01 12:02:40 PM, lubet001 (at)
maroon(dot)tc(dot)umn(dot)edu writes:

>Not a Jewish reference, but one piece of evidence that trombone is
appropriate

>for funerals is that the 'Dirge Canons' in Stravinsky's 'In Memoriam Dylan
>
>Thomas' are played by a quartet of trombones.  Trombone is, of course,
>also
>prominent in the New Orleans jazz played in that city's legendary funerals.

Both true, of course. Another famous out-of-the-ordinary non-Jewish use of
trombones is in Mozart's Requiem. Don't quote me on this, but I seem to
recall that it is the only instance that Mozart wrote for trombones
orchestrally.

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett