Re: Question on use of klezmer music

Responding to the message of <037601c0f1cd$4ee82400$4bfd17d4 (at) test>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> ------=_NextPart_000_033D_01C0F1DD.886A2CE0
>

> ----- Original Message from Yakov-----=20
> What do you play at a funeral (besides doynas, i suppose)?=20
>
> Rivkele di shabesdike, Flatbush waltz, Blessing nigun and other slow =
> nigunim,
> some of my own compositions like Aynfakher nigun, Corinne, Troyrik =
> welt...
> and even sometimes on request (with a singer): Papirossn, Rojinkes mit =
> mandeln, Oy mame bin ikh falibt (slow version).
> But not on trombone... :-)}

Not a Jewish reference, but one piece of evidence that trombone is appropriate
for funerals is that the 'Dirge Canons' in Stravinsky's 'In Memoriam Dylan
Thomas' are played by a quartet of trombones.  Trombone is, of course, also
prominent in the New Orleans jazz played in that city's legendary funerals.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 612 624-8001 (fax)