-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Ron or Kari Averill
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 6:42 PM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Question on use of klezmer music

Hello.  I am a composer with little knowledge of Jewish music.  I'm
currently writing a piece which will use a variety of quotes from the body
of Jewish music.  The piece is somber in tone, being a memoriam (or perhaps
"tribute" is a better word) to survivors of the Holocaust.

My question is this:  It seems that klezmer music is generally for happy
occasions, such as weddings.  Would it be inappropriate to include klezmer
music in the piece that I have described above? Or is there also perhaps
klezmer music used for somber occasions such as funerals?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Dr. Ron Averill
ronkari (at) gte(dot)net