MetroKlezmer & friends (incl. Howie Leess!), free NYC/June shows

Three very special Manhattan shows this June feature Metropolitan Klezmer &
friends; also catch a glimpse of us in Staten Island this weekend.  We’re
especially glad to be playing at the 92nd Street Y's Kaufmann Hall with
legendary klezmer veteran Howie Leess returning as our special guest.

These are our only NYC shows til fall ...and all FREE - GRATIS - UMZIST!!

SUN, JUNE 10:  Snug Harbor Cultural Center Harmony Fair hosts a trio of
Metropolitans.  Ismail Butera, Debra Kreisberg, and Eve Sicular play a k
lezmer set for the Children's Stage, 1:45pm.  1000 Richmond Terrace,
Staten Island.  Info: 718-448-2500; S.I. Ferry to S-40 city bus, or allow
time for parking if you drive.  Free (we’re pretty sure... )!

TUES, JUNE 12:  Museum Mile Festival gives audiences a traffic-free Fifth
Avenue and free museum admissions for an evening each year.  Metropolitan
Klezmer plays once again at The Jewish Museum, 92nd St & 5th Ave, NYC,
outdoors if weather permits (or else in museum auditorium).  6pm-9pm.  Museum
info: 212-423-3200.  Free!

THUR, JUNE 14: “Ana & the Tevka’s” (think Fiddler; think hard!), incl.
several Metro members, debuts at the East Village outdoor lunchtime music
series in Abe Lebewohl Park, E. 10th St @2nd Ave (across from 2nd Avenue
Deli, in front of St Mark’s Church).  12:30pm-1:30pm, rain or shine.  W/
Ismail Butera, Rick Faulkner, Debra Kreisberg, & Eve Sicular, and Anna
Milat-Meyer on bass + MelisSameach on vocals.  Sponsored by Third St Music
School Settlement, 212-777-3240.  Free!

TUES, JUNE 19:  The 92nd Street Y’s annual Katherine W. Stein Memorial
Concert presents Metropolitan Klezmer’s full eight-piece band, plus special
guest Howie Leess on clarinet and tenor sax.  Mr. Leess (b. 1920), original
reed player with the Greater Metropolitan Klezmer band and a living klezmer
legend now in his eight decade of performing klezmer as well as Big Band
music, makes his first New York appearance in over three years.  2pm,
Kaufmann Concert Hall, 1395 Lexington Avenue, NYC.  212-415-5500.  Two sets,
with reception to follow.  Free!

METROPOLITAN KLEZMER
Ismail Butera - accordion and bendir
Rick Faulkner - trombone
Pam Fleming - trumpet & flugelhorn
Michael Hess - violin, ney flute, & kanun zither
Dave Hofstra - bass & tuba
Deborah Karpel - vocals
Debra Kreisberg - clarinet & alto sax
Eve Sicular - drums

on MOSAIC PERSUASION, our latest CD (distributed worldwide by Stern's Music):

"an urban, sophisticated sound... crisp solos and exquisite ensemble
playing... the musicality is true." - Gigi Yellen-Cohen, JEWISH TRANSCRIPT
(Seattle)
"een formatie die all-things-yiddish brengt in een eindeloze varieteit [...an
endless variety]" - Marc Dolan, ROOTS TOWN (Belgium)

Metropolitan Klezmer
www.metropolitanklezmer.com
151 First Avenue #145
NYC  10003  USA