Re: What is Jewish Music

As a non-Jew who plays what music primarily for Jewish listeners (which they
mostly appear to enjoy and identify with), I've followed with great interest
the recent discussions on  defining Jewish music.

I'm struck particularly by two aspects of the postings.

Firstly the intense pride in the music, which I like. Secondly an aspect of
possessiveness which I don't like quite so much. Music is surely for the
whole world to enjoy and appreciate, regardless of race or religion, whether
as a performer or listener.

 As with most musical genres, Jewish music has borrowed from, been influenced
by, and adapted other musical traditions. Without this mingling of genres,
the totality of Jewish music  wouldn't be what it is today. I believe that it
is a cause to celebrate if people outside one's own musical, religious or
cultural heritage regard your music as sufficiently valuable to wish either
to contribute to it or borrow from it.

 Can we possibly deny that our musical lives are enriched by this
cross-fertilization?

Paul