Re: Music from Israel

At 10:19 PM 6/6/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm certainly no expert, but I have noticed a
>wonderful trend in Israel toward a musical
>spirituality that brings musical traditions from the
>Far East, Middle East, and North African Regions
>together with a high degree of musicianship.

There may be such musicians, but it is certainly not
the mainstream of Jewish music, which is just as pop-
focused and commercial as music in most places! (At
least, that's what my friends seem to be listening to,
and that's whats coming through on the most recent
set of CDs from there that I've received.)

Having said that, there =are= some bands that have fused
a variety of world musics, ranging from Habustan Avraham
or the Natural Gathering to more recent bands, and that
is, indeed, fascinating. Do talk more about those that
you have especially enjoyed!

ari