Re: Music from Israel

Khaverim --

I would also add to that list Radio Hazak, a website maintained by Larry
Yudelson, an excellent journalist, which covers Israeli pop like a
capacious blanket (although I don't think it's been updated in a while).
It can be found at http://www.radiohazak.com/
You can also link from that site to Larry's utterly fascinating (and
slightly berserk) pages on Bob Dylan's Jewishness, which I'm sure will
be an, er, useful contribution to the "what is Jewish music" debate.

George (Never played for Poogy, thank you) Robinson

glenn tamir wrote:

> I'm certainly no expert, but I have noticed a
> wonderful trend in Israel toward a musical
> spirituality that brings musical traditions from the
> Far East, Middle East, and North African Regions
> together with a high degree of musicianship.
>
> Here are a couple of resources:
>
> http://www.magda.co.il  -An Israeli record label that
> has some amazingly talented musicians.  Eyal Sela and
> Darma, two of their musicians, performed at Makor a
> couple of weeks ago with Brooklyn's own Pharaoh's
> Daughter.
>
> http://www.sheva.org/   - Sheva is a group from a
> moshav in the Galilee.  They performed a couple of
> years ago at Temple Emanu-el with Omar Faruk Tekbilek
> to raise money for the Israeli Earthquake relief.
>
> Perhaps some other people could add some interesting
> links......
>
> --- wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com wrote:
> > Glenn,
> >
> > Would you (and others) say more about contemporary
> > Israeli music?  We
> > haven't discussed it much on the list.
> >
> > Bob

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->