Re: Thomas Friedman (NYT) & Israel

I agree that it is off the music topic, but having been
accused (in non-music-related postings) of not reading
carefully, I must defend myself.  In some circles, not
reading carefully is a sin worse than violence (See, for
example, the academic world's tolerance of Edward Said's
stone throwing).  Given more time, perhaps, I could have
written a satirical song from this material.

My criticism in passing of Tom Friedman's view of settlements
was generalized so as not to require elaboration, I thought.
My point, jokingly,  was about including references for context.

Many people are fond of Tom Friedman. He has received prizes
for his Middle East coverage, but there have also been many
who've disagreed with his opinions these many years, and we
all need to be reminded that his articles, though usually
informative, aren't "torah min shomayim" (there's my liturgical
quote). I've winced every time he mentioned "settlements" as a
main impediment to peace.

I disagree that they are "shameful acts of colonial coercion" (Tom
Friedman's
still current words). Should Jews be subject to vetos about where they
may
live? By implication, no Jew has any right to live anywhere except on
someone
else's sufferance. As an American living in safety, Tom is still "asleep"
with
regard to this.

Tom's apparent new realization that these settlements he wrote so much
about are just irrelevant to the Arab hatred of Jews could constitute a
"sudden awakening to the situation." Which word in that sentence can be
disputed?

Yours in careful reading,
Lee