RE: separate services

Sue,

I think you misunderstood what I wrote.  At Kane Street Synagogue, the
oldest synagogue in Brooklyn, people sit wherever they like.  There are
groups of teens, kids, single adults, but usually, couples and families sit
together.  We always do and that's is how I like it.  But there are no
seating rules at Kane Street except on High Holidays.  Kane Street is very
heymish and friendly, besides being an absolutely, astoundingly beautiful
shul.  The sanctuary is so beautiful that, for me, at least, it is always a
spiritually uplifting just to be there.

When I wrote about my parents' synagogue in Canarsie, Brooklyn, I didn't
have time to add the following.  Men sitting in the mekhitsa section in the
middle part of the synagogue could plainly see the faces of the women
sitting in the perpendicular rows of the women's section, around the
bal-tfila in the very front section of the synagogue.  If any man really
had a problem with that, then he could not be attend services there.  Now
these were older, highly modest, frum women married to the very frum
husbands on the facing side.  Any fashionably-dressed, attractive young
daughters those pious women might have had did not sit with the mothers in
that section.  They sat elsewhere.  One of those women was not so old and
was a live wire who loved mixed dancing (she married a much older, very
religious man right after the war who nebekh wouldn't dance with her.)
 Well, if anyone had problems with this lively, wonderful woman who
attended regularly, that was just too bad, I guess.  I, and everyone else,
always loved her and I still do.  She and her husband, were the mainstays
of the shul.  This shul was rather small, actually shtibl size, and this 3
part arrangement was the best of what these survivors, mostly from small
towns, worked out in their post-Holocaust American life.  Life changed
after the war and this was the compromise the men worked out with their
wives, their children, and modernity.

What I described above was the High Holiday seating.  I don't know how
things were worked out on a regular shabes, because my mother and I didn't
go with my father to shul on Shabes.  (My mother was too angry at God for
the Holocaust and I went to counter-culture havurah services when not at
home.)  I believe that they had the mekhitsa section in the front and mixed
seating in the back, but I am not sure about the very front section with
women sitting on one side of the bal-tfila.  That two-gendered section was
unique and I have never seen it anywhere else.

Reyzl