RE: Deutchland Uber Alles

>> The tune was originally the Austrian Imperial Hymn. If I remember
>> correctly, the words called for God to bless the Emperor.
>> Those were the
>> words that Haydn knew. The quartet in which Haydn used this
>> tune is still
>> known as the "Emperor" quartet.

It was Haydn himself who wrote the original melody, in a song entitled "Gott
Erhalte Franz den Kaiser".  According to Geiringer's biography of Haydn, it
was "his own favorite, the national hymn, which more than anything else
enhanced his popularity in his own country.  The impulse to compose the
Austrian hymn also cam from England.  Noticing the deep impression produced
in London whenever 'God Save the King' was played, Haydn felt that in the
distressed times of the Napoleonic Wars Austria needed a patriotic song."
Haydn received a gold box and a gratuity from the Emperor for the tune.

Joel Epstein
Moshav Magshimim, Israel
tel: 972-3-9333316
     972-52-333316