Re: Deutchland Uber Alles

Responding to the message of <NBBBJPGEPBMHMOJGKPFFCEMMCHAA(dot)jbgordon (at)
cloud9(dot)net>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Unless my recollection is wrong, Salomon Sulzer, the first great Cantor of
> international repute has a setting of Deutchland Uber Ales, with different
> words, of course, for the birthday of some great person in one of his
> volumes of compositions.  I think it is scored for harp and other
> instruments as well as full choir.  It must have been a German national
> treasure before the fascists put those words in. Imagine the book Shir Zsion
> with that tune in it.
> jonathan gordon

Haydn uses it in one of his string quartets.  I'm not sure that's its first
appearance.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 612 624-8001 (fax)