Re: Is "Hatikvah" Jewish?

What it all really comes down to is this.  Why use labels at all to describe
music?  Hasn't there been enough damage done to musicians who were pidgeonholed
into a particular genre by some record label or music critic?  ALL music can be
traced back to other origins.  ALL music is influenced by other music in one
way or another.Let's stop tying to "define" what is "Jewish Music".  We're Jews
and we play music.  Much of this music was influenced by other Jews who played
or wrote music or by t'filot, etc..DONE!--- shirona  wrote:> A few years ago I
attended a seminar on the origins> of "Jewish Music", and one of the examples
studied> was our very own Hatikvah.  Most people think that> the melody was
taken from Smetana's "Moldava" -> which already implies that it was "shnorered"
from> another (non Jewish...) source.  However - according> to some
musicologists, the melody for Hatikvah can> be traced to a Romanian
horse-and-buggy song. The> same tune that might have influenced Smetana...
But> either way - our own National Anthem is not Jewish. > So what kind of
excuses do we need to come up with> to justify this?> > How can we make any
claims at all - on what Jewish> music is or isn't?  Wandering for two thousand
years> - we "shnorered" from whatever culture we lived with> at the time, mixed
it with what we already had,> moved to other countries - and the process goes
on> and on.  If anything - we were probably the most> effective proponents of
"cultural cross-pollination"> around.> > But what difference does all this
make?  Does it> really matter if the music we use was genuinely> "created" by
"us", or somehow borrowed,> intentionally or unintentionally,  from another>
source? Is it important to hang on to those> definitions?  Music is music...
Traditions, taste> and styles change and evolve with time.> > OK Robert... I'm
now waiting for your "Ipcha> Mistabra" response.  If you don't know what that>
means - it's in Aramaic.  Look it up.> > Shirona> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish> Music * * * >           www.shirona.com> >
       Listen to Shirona's music on:>           www.mp3.com/shirona> - - - - -