Re: Women's Music?

"WINSTON WEILHEIMER" <nusach (at) hotmail(dot)com> <mailto:nusach (at)
hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
 >I see no denigration of women here....am i wrong?
 >
 >any how....if anyone can think of a better title
 >...let me know...im open to suggestion.

Winston, work on the spelling.
"Ashes Chayil" looks too much like a burnt offering.

As a title it's not bad; but although your programing idea is a noble
one, and your understanding of Eyshet Chayil sincere, I personally find
the text of this poem to be somewhat patronizing to [live] women. It's
not too bad as a funeral text. The popular understanding of its
traditional use on Friday night is interesting. You can be sure that the
original purpose of including this poem in the Friday night ritual was
not to honor the woman of the house, but as an allegory to the Shechina
and the soul. It fits into the kabbalistic scheme of reciting Shir
Hashirim before Mincha on Friday [as Chassidim still do], singing to the
Sabbath Bride before Ma'ariv, and bidding farewell to the Sabbath Queen
after Havdalah. (They had an interesting way of sublimating their sexual
urges.)

Also, since your goal is not to politicize, but to honor women, may I be
so bold as to suggest that you not limit the program to recordings by
women, but include songs of love to women, even if recorded by folks of
the male persuasion.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ