Re: Kol Isha: Rikudat Isha

----- Original Message -----
From: <wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: Kol Isha: Rikudat Isha

> If that was my post (and it was some time ago so I don't quite
> remember if it was and, if so, what my state of mind was at the time),
> I suppose that I was commenting on the implication that Miriam and the
> women danced but did not sing at the Reed Sea.  If so, I assumed that
> music was probably provided too, and by men.  If this is to serve as
> the model of how to pray in the synagogue, that women should be seen
> (dancing), but not heard, why don't we see women dancing in Orthodox
> congregations?  In fact, in the most "traditional" Orthodox synagogues
> women were not seen (by the men) at all.
>
> Bob
>
>From the Plaut translation of Exodus 15:
20] Then Miriam the prophetess, Aaron's sister, took a timbrel in her hand,
and all the women went out after her in dance with timbrels.  21] And Miriam
chanted for them, "Sing to the Lord, for He has triumphed gloriously;/Horse
and driver He has hurled into the sea."
the note to 21 says: "For them (lahem), the masculine form, but sometimes
used for women too."

While parts of this can be interpreted more than one way, it seems clear
that Miriam did sing.