Re: bas mitz project on dance

Responding to the message of <006601c0ba3a$38c3cf00$9fd1f7a5 (at) default>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Hi, My name is Molly.  I am 12 years old and I am doing a project on Jewish
> dance for my bas mitzvah.  I am working on this with Gerry Tenney, who some
> of you may know.  He is a klezmer musician.
>
>  I wanted to know if anybody has any information on jewish dance and would
> be willing to share it with me. I'm interested in finding out more about the
> dances that were done to klezmer music.
>
> I'd like to interview people by email, phone, or in person (if you live in
> the San Francisco Bay Area) .
> Molly

Can't help you Molly, except to congratulate you from the bottom of my heart on
this worthy project.  I kvelled a great deal when my daughter insisted on
klezmer music at her bat mitzvah.  My son wants the same band at his bar mitzvah
next year only he intends to sit in on fidl on a few tunes.  (He's already
played a few gigs with me.)  The band, by the way, is the always awesome
Dreigroshn Klezmorim.  Nice to  be able to recognize the nature of the simcha by
the music after too many way expensive parties with dj's and macarenas.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455