St. Petersburg Society

Eliott Kahn <Elkahn (at) JTSA(dot)EDU> wrote:

> Curiously, the St. Petersburg Folk Music Society came to just such a juncture
> in 1915. ...

There are interesting similarities between the genesis and activity of
the St. Petersburg Society for Jewish Folk Music at the beginning of the
20th century and the Klezmer Revival at the end of the century.  The
foundational myth of the Klezmer Revival centers around that famous
question asked of its prophet Henry Sapoznik by Tommy Jarrell, with whom
Henry was studying traditional American music, regarding the great
number of Jewish musicians interested in early American music:
"Hank, don't your people got none of your own music?"

The prime figure of the Russian Jewish music movement was Yoel Engel
(1868-1927), a totally assimilated Jew who graduated the Moscow Imperial
Conservatory and started on an illustrious carreer as a music critic.
Following are some excerpts from the introduction to the St. Petersburg
Society collection recently reprinted by Tara Publications:

   <<Engel quickly succeeded in winning broad recognition among the
artistic and academic circles of St. Petersburg, Moscow and other
centers. Russian topnotch authorities like Rimsky- Korsakov, Taneyev,
Cui, and others, acclaimed the outstanding articles of the young critic
Engel...

...[Many years later] I finally asked him the crucial question: "Tell
me, please, how did it really occur that you, a typically Russian
intellectual, suddenly turned around all 180 degrees into an ardent
propagandist, pioneer, and exponent of Jewish music?"
Engel smiled. "You see," he said, "strange as it may seem, I owe this to
the Russians, or rather to one Russian." And he told me of the
remarkable episode, a fascinating story indeed, which caused that
decisive turn of his life into a new path. It was the "holy night" the
eve of Russian Easter in Moscow, when the young Russian music critic
Engel met a friend of his, the sculptor Mark Antokolsky for the purpose
of introducing Engel to the eminent Vladimir Stasov, the enthusiastic
advocate of Russian national art...

   ...When both guests entered his hotel room, they found Stasov in the
company of the famous painter Repin, the two men absorbed in Stasov's
beloved topic, nationalism in the arts. Stasov, a genuine Slav,
nevertheless was a great admirer and student of the Old Testament. He
felt the inner profound relationship between the Bible and western
culture. After Yuli Dmitrevich Engel was introduced by Mark Matveyevich
Antokolsky, Stasov immediately started a vigorous attack on both as Jews
who used Russian first names instead of their own Hebrew ones. "Look
here," he shouted at Antokolsky, "What is the idea of calling yourself
Mark, a genuine Roman Latin name? What have you in common with Mark?
Certainly nothing. Are you ashamed of your own Mordechai? I simply
cannot understand it. Where is your national pride of being a Jew? Don't
you realize all the magnificent biblical splendor, all the nobility of
that Mordechai? Yes, yes, you should forget that Mark, and become proud
of your ancient aristocratic forefather Mordechai. The great Mordechai."
So yelled the giant Stasov as if in a delirium of ecstasy...

   ...Stasov particularly challenged Engel, as a highly educated
musician, to examine his own heritage of Jewish music. He vigorously
reminded Engel of the ancient Temple music of the Levites, of the
historic synagogue liturgies with cantorial prayer chants, and
especially of the Yiddish folk songs heard in the Russian countryside.
Then Stasov shouted at Engel, "Where is your national pride in the music
of your own people!"

   The young Engel was overwhelmed, bewildered. The tall man with his
long gray beard looked like a true impersonation of a biblical prophet.
His thundering voice sounded like one of an Isaiah, Elijah, or Jeremiah.
His words struck Engel's imagination like lightning and the Jew awoke in
him. This was indeed the greatest moment in Engel's life, as well as a
big event for the whole of Israel. For this was the memorable night when
Jewish art music was born.

   Engel acted quickly. An immediate decision was taken. Two months
after the Stasov meeting, he left for his summer vacation heading west
to join his people. He spent a whole summer listening to, and noting
down loads of Jewish musical folklore. Upon his return to Moscow, he
carefully assorted the material and harmonized the choicest tunes, then
setting them for publication. Two more summers of similar activity
followed, and finally in 1900 the first "Album of Ten Jewish Songs,"
compiled by Engel and published at his own expense, was released. One of
the first copies went to Stasov, in personal acknowledgment. Later in
the same year, Joel Engel organized a public lecture with illustrations
on Jewish music, the first one ever delivered on the subject. It took
place at the Moscow Polytechnical Museum on Malaya Lubyanka Street, and
was sponsored by the music section of the Imperial Society for Natural
Science, Anthropology, and Ethnography....

...[The lecture] hardly meant much to the assimilated Moscow Jewry. But
to the national-minded few, mostly young music students, the lecture was
a true revelation, or better, a revolution. A far reaching echo of the
Russian Jewry was the response to Engel's lecture, whose detailed
comments appeared in Voskhod (The Dawn), a Russian-Jewish periodical
read by the whole intelligentsia. Jewish musical activities started
simultaneously in several centers, with the ultimate result of the
foundation of the Society for Jewish Folk Music in St. Petersburg. >>

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ