RE: Cataloguing Jewish music

Dear Matt and Ari and other list members wanting to embark on similar
cataloguing
projects

JMI has already developed a brilliant dedicated relational database for
cataloguing
Jewish Music.
The purpose behind the development of Keynote is that we realize that there is
so much
uncatalogued material out there, and everybody with a collection is having to
try to
make their own system, starting from scratch using different formats and and
reinventing
wheels, and we all end up with something different that does not talk to
someone else's
collection.  Our aim in developing Keynote was to offer it to everyone so that
ultimately we can each input our own collection then we can put all that
together, and
end up with a personalised veritable encyclopedia of Jewish Music on the Web.
(We are
already considering the Web Based Version).
 'Keynote' has all the features one needs, including the precise
instrumentation and
space for notes about any field in a pleasing and exciting windows format.  It
also has
additional add-ons such as a Tune manager.  Paul Holden, the Chairman of our
Library
Management committee (Former Senior Librarian at the Guildhall School of Music,
London)
is very impressed with the system as a database for individual collectors and
as a
research tool for libraries.

As keynote is still at a stage that it can be refined, I offer any members of
the list
free copies of the software in return for feedback on the system and its use.
It would
be good if members of this Jewish Music List would like to help in pioneering a
very
special and much needed project.  (I feel sure we can count on the help of Big
Brother
Elliot Kahn at JTS on the list to help with tricky problems).

Please answer on or off list if you would like to join the Keynote refinement
team.

Geraldine

Geraldine Auerbach MBE
Director, Jewish Music Institute
The School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
Tel +44 (0)20 7898 4308   Fax +44 (0)20 7898 4309
E-mail jewishmusic (at) jmi(dot)org(dot)uk
Website www.jmi.org.uk