Re: Emil Horowitz

Perhaps this is the transliterated/reconstituted name of Emil Gorovets, a
Soviet Jewish singer who later emigrated to this country (Russian has no
letter "h," so usually "g" is substituted for proper names beginning with h
in their own languague of origin - Geller for Heller, etc.)   I am sure
others can say much more about him.  I know that he made a beautiful LP with
Zalman Mlotek called IKH BIN A YID! [I AM A JEW!], issued by Workmen's Circle
in the 1970s, dedicated to the martyred Soviet Jewish poets who were killed
in 1952, with gorgeous, sensitive arrangements of a wide variety of poems set
to music.  Most of the music is by Gorovets, arranged by Zalmen, with a few
melodies by I believe other Soviet Jews.  Emil Gorovets also at some point in
the mid-1990s had a job at YIVO (86th St) after his wife had died.  He came
here from Moscow.

Eve