Re: Decline and Fall of Clarinet Empire (was Re: women musicians)

GRComm (at) concentric(dot)net writes:

> A very interesting thesis, for which I say thanks. As
> for trombone, the
> big problem, it seems to me, was that it was just to
> damned hard to play
> fast and still articulate, say, 16th notes. JJ is a
> giant, and he's one
> of the few 'bone players of the period who could
> bring it off.

It would be a mistake to say that Bebop was not played on Trombone. Off the
top of my head, I thought of Carl Fontana, Kai Winding, Julian Priester,
Slide Hampton, Curtis Fuller, Jimmy Knepper, and believe it or not, Roswell
Rudd..well, sorta.
But what is a common problem is maintaining a commercially viable sound on
Trombone while playing Bebop. For that, J.J. was in a class by himself.

Jordan

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->