Bop Trombonists (Was Re: Decline and Fall of Clarinet Empire)

Yes, that's an excellent list. I didn't say that bop wasn't played on
trombone, but it is difficult. Indeed, I think it's telling that most of
the names you mention came along after JJ (and Kai). Rudd, as you
probably know, started out as a Dixieland player -- hard to imagine for
anyone who ever heard him with, say, Cecil Taylor. And Priester's best
work is with Mingus who is sort of post-bop, but that's hairsplitting.
I've always been especially fond of Bob Brookmeyer but that's cheating,
'cause he plays a valve trombone. (As did Billy Eckstine, born Eckstein
but I don't think he's Jewish.)

George (I always wanted to sound like Billy Eckstine singing, but I
sound more like him playing trombone) Robinson

It would be a mistake to say that Bebop was not played on
Trombone. Off the
top of my head, I thought of Carl Fontana, Kai Winding, Julian
Priester,
Slide Hampton, Curtis Fuller, Jimmy Knepper, and believe it or
not, Roswell
Rudd..well, sorta.
But what is a common problem is maintaining a commercially
viable sound on
Trombone while playing Bebop. For that, J.J. was in a class by
himself.

Jordan