Orthodox & Klezmer

             >But the
             >fact that it is not used in the freylekhs set suggests
            that the instrument, >and in general, the music, are part of
            a bygone era, a music that is to >them no longer "in style".
             >An ancillary question, perhaps even more elusive to
            answer; why is >klezmer fading out in the Ortho community?
            Given the massive amounts >of synth-driven faux rock rubbish
            I hear Orthodox bands churning out, I >can't say I'm
            surprised, but what is the reason for this?

Correction:  Klezmer music is not fading out --  it never faded into the
Orthodox and Chassidic world.
Think about it:  The phenomenal success of the klezmer revival among
musicians as well as audiences since the Age of Fiddler on Roof is
inexorably linked in a host of complex ways to a concomitant revival in
Jewish cultural/ethnic/religious discovery and/or identification.
Neither aspect of this journey is relevant to the Chassidicized Orthodox
world, who never lost touch with their own abundantly rich musical
traditions.  They continue on their own merry male journey of the last
200 years, discovering ever new ways to freshen and "modernize" their
musical experiences -- including Disco Shlock, harps and fiddles, etc.
Yes, their musical impresarios nodded briefly in the direction of
Klezmer to feel out any commercial possibilities, but for that culture
to embrace Klezmer makes as much sense as for "us" to start wearing
Nehru jackets.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ