Re: YIVO Acronym

Encyclopedia Judaica (1971) states that YIVO, or the Yidisher Visenshaftlikher
Institut, was founded at a conference of Jewish scholars and social scientists
in Berlin from August 7-12, 1925. Vilna was selected as the center, with
subsidiary branches in Berlin, Warsaw, and New York.

The use of the word "visenshaft" was probably a nod to the "Wissenschaft des
Judentums" (Science of Judaism), which was a movement founded in Germany by
Leopold Zunz ca. 1818-1822, devoted to "the knowledge of Judaism through its
literary and historical documentation, and by a statistical knowledge of
Judaism in relation to the Jews of our time in all the countries of the world."
Early scholars in this movement included Samuel David Luzzatto, Zacharias
Frankel, and Abraham Geiger, the founder of the Reform movement. Frankel headed
the Jewish Theological Seminary--founded in Breslau in 1854--for twenty years.

The idea of the "Science of Judaism" was still in existence in the early
twentieth century--although somewhat watered down. But the concept had long ago
spread (as all Haskalah ideas had) into the Pale of Settlement and the rest of
Russia. The Encyclopedia Judaica article states that this had a direct
influence on the establishment of societies, such as the 1912 An-Ski
ethnographic expedition (Beregovski Collection); the 1908 St. Petersburg Folk
Music Society; as well as YIVO.

Eliott Kahn