Re: OFF: law and freedom

The meaning of it is, that Law--capital-L Law, Jewish law--is *not* the
opposite of freedom.  (And perhaps some analogous statement can be made to a
degree, about secular law, but w/ an *awful* lot of qualifiers...and I'm not
going there.)  Rather, wisely understood and applied, it can *enable*
freedom.

Before the Torah, we weren't free to do Shabbes--however one does
Shabbes--because we didn't know from Shabbes!

Without the Torah, we wouldn't be free to be Jewish--cause we wouldn't know
what that means.  It wouldn't have any content.  (Just as a Jewish child
raised w/ zero Jewish content is *less* free rather than freer; (s)he's not
really free, in any meaningful sense, to be a Jew. (S)he's constrained--less
free--on account of ignorance).

And so there wouldn't be any Jewish music.

And so there wouldn't be this List.

Or this exchange.

--Robert Cohen