Yom Tov Ehrlich

<ro (at) panix(dot)com> <mailto:ro (at) panix(dot)com>writes:

     >I was wondering (as I dig out from the piles recently scrounged
    from old record stores) if
     >anyone can provide a little information on the maker of one
    Chassidic tape I came across.  My >phonetic reading is only fair,
    but I believe this tape was made by "Yom Tov Erlich".

Yom Tov Ehrlich was a gentle diminutive chassidic badkhn who plied his
trade (in this country, at least) in post WW II Williamsburg.  "Badkhn"
doesn't quite describe him; "musical maggid" is closer to the mark.  His
Yiddish lyrics areminiature sermons heavy with citations from Jewish
lore, and evocative moralizingdescriptions of the Old World chassidic
lifestyle and its heroes.  He didperform at weddings, either singing at
the microphone or playing rudimentary accordion as a sideman in the band
(conspicuous against the tuxedoed instrumentalists with his "kapote" and
flowing beard) but he did not necessarily address the bride and groom.
He was also conspicuous in this Hungarian Jewish community with his
Lithuaninan Yiddish pronunciation. (A Lubavitch turncoat? A Misnagdic
convert?).  He performed mainly at communal events and on his 3 dozen
orso recordings.

     >The title of the tape is, I think "Emunot Tzadikim" (The Faith of
    the Tsadik?).  Its a good >listen, I wonder if anyone can tell me a
    little more... Of course, it may be that this was made by > the
    "Emunot" tsadiks, (never heard of them, but that proves nothing) and
    that they  are holiday >songs and I don't get erlich.

The title "Emunas Tzadikim" can mean "The Faithof the Tsadik," as you
say, but also suggests "Faith in the Tsadik".  "Yom Tov" is the artist's
first name, so there's no necessary connection with "holiday" implied --
though the observance of Shabbes and Yontef is a common theme of his.
His surname "Ehrlich" means "pious, upstanding" -- so his real name also
had the ring of a stage name in his chosen career.
BTW, Avraham Fried, the chassidic singing star, has produced two albums
of Yom Tov Ehrlich's material ("Yiddish Gems" and "Yiddish Gems II") .
The tender persuasion of Ehrich's original style gives way to the
superstar's elan, but it's a good introduction to the material.  You can
check out the audio samples at

http://www.mostlymusic.com/albumdetails.asp?albumid=2529

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ