Re: Fiddler and The Rothschilds

Since my cousin (by marriage) _wrote_ the (best-selling) book from which THE
ROTHSCHILDS was adapted, I suppose I should have some words of wisdom
regarding its (only relative) lack of success as a musical.  But I'm not
sure I have any special insight on the subject.

I do, however, have some reservations about what George has written here.  I
think his proferred explanation is rather too glib; I respectfully suggest
that George has wheeled into play a plausible, and always discouraging,
thesis--to the effect that some American Jews and some American non-Jews are
more comfortable w/ Jews being depicted as victims than as successful--and
applied it, I think, not especially ... applicably.

Consider:  Would George's proferred explanation _really_ explain the
phenomenal, world-wide appeal of FIDDLER (of which I was by no means a
tremendous fan, btw)?  Did Japanese audiences, say, really shell-out bick
bucks to see Fiddler cause they cared _that_ much to see Jews depicted as
victims?  (And, btw, I think Fiddler's depictions of Jews and Judaism,
however romanticized, are far from so uniformly negative, either.)  Surely
not.

When I asked Theodore Bikel to comment in my NPR documentary, "One People,
Many Voices:  American People Comes Of Age," about the astonishing success
of Fiddler, he opined:  "It is universal because it is understood that what
this is about is not a narrow, Jewish thing but an experience that can be
shared:  poverty, oppression, persecution ... and tradition, and children
who refuse to follow it."

That's a lot closer to the mark, I suspect.  Fiddler was a phenomenal
success not because it so successfully depicted Jews as victims, but
precisely because it transcended its subject(s) and context:  It had a
*universal* appeal, because of its universal themes.

The songs from Fiddler--I don't really remember those from The Rothschilds
musical, even though I saw it, in its origianl staging, and from front-row
seats!--brilliantly succeeded in capturing and embodying that universal
appeal.  Do you really think "Sunrise, Sunset" is, I imagine, played and/or
sung in weddings all over the world because of how Fiddler did or didn't
depict Jews?  No--it was a phenomenonally successful song because it
captured an experience, and emotions, that every parent, every future
parent, every potential parent, and even every quasi-parent (of nieces and
nephews, friends' children, etc.)--in other words, everyone--could relate
to.

(Though, btw, my favorite song from Fiddler is the Sabbath prayer of
blessings for their girls.)

I'd really caution all of us from too readily invoking dark explanations for
the greater popularity and success of things we don't like.

Then again, I'm all too ready to sally forth, darkly, on why Irving Berlin's
infernal music was so popular....

--Robert Cohen