Oyf vs. Af

Hello all,

The question about "A Khazndl Oyf Shabes" made me think of a pressing question I
need some help with.  I had asked this question before, but I'm going to ask
again, this time as sort of an informal survey.  I'm going to be recording an
album this month of Yiddish Peysakh songs.  Many of them, of course, use the
word, written alef-vov-yud-fey, pronounced variously as af or oyf.  A few days
ago I was asking a person whose opinion I respect and he told me that to him
they
are two different words used in different conditions.  Now I'm really confused,
as I had thought it was a dialectical difference.  I want to be "correct" and
consistent, not being a native speaker and thus not having the innate nuances
built in.  All those of you who feel you could help, please, let me know what
your knowledge and feeling is, offline, if the rest of you would not be
interested.

A groysn dank in foroys,
Lorele