Chevan and Byrd to perform in Falmouth, Mass. on Jan. 13

Here's a press release of a concert Warren and I will be giving next
Saturday in Falmouth, Massachusetts.  I hope some of you can join us.
David

DAVID CHEVAN AND WARREN BYRD
TO GIVE CONCERT OF JEWISH AND AFRICAN-AMERICAN SACRED MUSIC
IN FALMOUTH, MASSACHUSETTS
EVENT IN CELEBRATION OF
DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

On Saturday, January 13 the duo of bassist David Chevan and pianist Warren
Byrd will perform at a free concert to celebrate the birthday of Martin
Luther King, Jr.  Chevan and Byrd will be performing jazz interpretations of
sacred music from the Jewish and African-American traditions.  The event
will take place at the Meetinghouse of the Falmouth Jewish Congregation
located at 7 Hatchville Road in Falmouth, Massachusetts on Cape Cod.  It is
scheduled to begin at 4:00 p.m. and will conclude with a Havdalah service.
There is no admission charge for this performance.  The Falmouth Jewish
Congregation can be reached for more information at 508-540-0602.

Chevan and Byrd's new CD, "Let Us Break Bread Together" is currently
receiving wide critical acclaim.  George Robinson wrote in The Jewish Voice,
"Let Us Break" is an excellent record of intelligent and thoughtful music,
and I recommend it highly. 4 ½ stars!"  Martin Goldsmith, former host and
senior commentator for NPR's "Performance Today wrote in the Forward, "Leave
it to the artists among us to heal the breach. On their new CD, "Let Us
Break Bread Together: Further Explorations of the Afro-Semitic Experience",
pianist Warren Byrd and double bassist David Chevan explore and celebrate
the musical ties that have bound these two traditions together across
centuries of suffering and redemption. . . . Listening to this CD is a bit
like checking out a funky little club in the basement of a church or shul.
Or listening to a sermon on a bus ride headed South."

But it is in performance where Chevan and Byrd shine. They gave a preview
concert of the new CD at the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (UAHC)
headquarters in New York to an enthusiastic audience.  Later, Rabbi Dan
Polish, the Director of the UAHC Commission on Social Action of Reform
Judaism wrote, "Your musical partnership and your mutually respectful
engagement in one another's musical and spiritual traditions model the kind
of dialogue between the black and Jewish communities that so many of us
aspire to.  Your presentation had the remarkable effect of moving,
delighting and edifying us all at the same time."

"Let Us Break Bread Together" is Chevan and Byrd's second CD of
interpretations of Jewish and African- American Sacred Music.  Their first
CD, "Avadim Hayinu: Once We Were Slaves" made the Jewish Voice's top ten
list of recordings for 1998. Critic George Robinson wrote, "A brilliant
piano-bass duo reading of tunes from the Jewish and African-American sacred
traditions and easily the best record I've reviewed this year. Warm,
intelligent and swinging..."  Both CDs are currently available at
www.amazon.com.  For more information on Chevan and Byrd please visit
David's web site at www.chevan.addr.com or write to David at
dchevan (at) snet(dot)net(dot)