Yanni

In his posting on Aderet's "Mostly Music" store in Boro Park,
<ro (at) panix(dot)com> wonders:

<<And, for reasons I cannot fathom - maybe someone can help me out here,
they have Yanni.  No, they don't have any other "new age" kinds of
artists, aside from an odd spacey piano treatment of some Chabad
nigunim.  And you know what else is strange?  The Judaica shop in the
Wesley Hills shopping center up in Monsey (which also has a great stock)
carries Yanni too.  What am I missing here?>>

The instrumentals by Yanni have been absorbed into the Frum culture as
perhaps the only form of overtly non-Jewish music deemed kosher and
useful for general consumption.  This did not come about by fiat, but is
a long-standing de facto phenomenon.  Yanni's pieces are short,
rhythmic, melodic (so to speak) and without any human voice or semantic
connotations.  Thus his music is incorporated into school plays
presented in girls' Yeshivas, used to choreograph that community's
ever-increasing repertoire of dances, used as backgrounds for choir
productions, taught to piano/keyboard students by private teachers,
heard on telephones while on hold (when the proprietor wants to project
a "modern" image of his business), etc.
In fact, a couple of his latest selections have fallen off the kosher
list since they include some female vocals (albeit without words).

This development seems to represent the women's toehold in the popular
music industry that serves the Yeshivishe community -- in contrast to
the "by women for women" recordings and concerts which have a much more
restricted function.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ