Re: Amplifying Violins

Hi
I agree that the Fishman is probably the easiest to use/attach/get going of
the violin pick-ups available...although it is worth noting that the sound
isn't always true across all strings, because it's only a single pick-up. I
think it's important to recognise that the choice of amp is also really
vital when you're thinking about amplifying your violin... I use a Trace
Acoustic -specially designed for acoustic guitars... and by adjusting the EQ
you can achieve a really lush tone - warm and not too tinny- that reflects
the sound of the individual instrument.
If you are thinking of buying an electric violin, I highly recommend the
violectra range... made by David Bruce Johnson in Birmingham England, who is
a fantastic craftsman...-... Nigel Kennedy has 3 of his violins and I play
his 5-string model.. the violectras stand out because David uses a wooden
bridge with a piezo pick-up for each string, unlike many/all? other electric
violins - this gives the instruments a more acoustic sound (less
saxophonic). Go to violectra.co.uk
Hope this helps...
and hope to see some of you fellow fiddlers at KK.
Sophie
Oi-Va-Voi, London