Klezmer status

Can someone clarify this for me please...

My grandfather who came from Russia, once said to my two younger brothers (
back in the late sixties )  who were seriously into playing Rock 'n Roll -
"what, you want to be Klezmers?"...   That was the first time I heard the word
"klezmer", but knowing Hebrew, and the words "Klei Zemer" - I understood the
meaning.  But the tone of his comment was derogatory, and that upset me.  To
me, anyone involved in music was by default in very HIGH status. So I asked for
an explanation.  He kinda shrugged and said - "you know... people playing in
weddings and such... it isn't  such a great honor..."

So to the best of your knowledge - HOW were musicians regarded socially in the
"old days", back in "the old country"?

Many thanks,
Shirona

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->