RE: Albert clarinets?

Quick answer. The Albert system is an old fashioned system having some
popularity because Andy Statman plays the Albert System clarinets that
Dave Tarras gave him. Most clarinetists I know or have seen play the
modern Boehm system.

Most clarinets used in Klezmer music are Bb or C. The A clarinet is used
mostly in orchestral music because it is easy for violins and other
string instruments to play in the sharp keys like E and A which put Bb
clarinets in F# and B, which are awkward to play in. With an A clarinet
they are playing in G and C. Much easier.

The C clarinet is a smaller clarinet than the Bb and (in my opinion) has
a whinier tone. However a lot of Klezmer playing is done in the high
register of the clarinet and the C clarinet is more suited to this.

Instead of buying a Bb and A Albert system clarinet, I would personally
buy a Bb and C Boehm system.

Differing opinions welcome.

Dick Rosenberg