Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1667

hi listniks,

just to respond to the truba debate, in russian (as well as meaning trumpet)
its also an exclamation, meaning sth like "Rubbish!" or
"garbage!" (never thought id ever need alternative UK/US translations but
there you go).

By the way, I've just been at Klezfest 2000 in Crimea, Ukraine with Frank
London, Adrienne Cooper and Zalman Mlotek and I can safely say that klezmer
and yiddish song is alive and kicking back in the (ex)USSR, with very
talented musicians in abundance. The atmosphere was very special, a real
warmth and musicians from all over Ukraine and Russia showing that Jewish
culture is slowly but successfully being revived and explored once again.
Considering the stories that every participant had to tell (it seems that
everyone's parents had survived thanks to some sort of miracle) it really
was a unique experience and one i was very lucky to be able to share. A real
mix of generations too.

The highlight for me was a trio of men in their 70s/80s from Simferopol
(everybody now :" Ey, Dzhankoi, dzhan, dzhan, dzhan..."), accordion, fiddle
and voice, really special performers. Their joy on stage after so many
decades of private performance only was some spectacle.

OK, enough nostalgia for me. SLAVA MUZIKANTAM! GLORY TO THE MUSICIANS!
hi Geraldine + Noa.

jonathan walton
oi-va-voi