Re: flying poultry

As I understand it, when a chicken was used for the ritual of Kaparos, the
chicken would then be ritually slaughtered, and eaten by the family of the
person doing kaparos rather than given to the poor.  The idea was that the
death of the chicken, in a holy manner, would serve to redeem the penitent,
the way the scapegoat in the Azazel ritual would serve to redeem the people
Israel in the days of the Temple.  Later, the custom of using money which
would be given to charity as an atonement was introduced.

My father has told me of something that happened when he was a boy.  He and
a friend were shlogging kaparos together.  (There was someone who lived in
the apartment across the hall who would slaughter chickens for people doing
kaparos, but they were using money.)  After they both had whirled the money
around their heads and chanted "This is my atonement", the friend said,
"Come on, let's use the money to buy ice cream."

When my father objected that they were supposed to give the money to
charity, his friend replied, "You eat the chicken, don't you?"

Jacob