Re: [78-l] Legendary Cantors

In a message dated 9/7/00 7:11:30 PM, jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com
writes:

<<What with the High Holidays coming up, thought I'd mention and recommend a
>new release from Nimbus (thank G-d it's not a Robert Parker
>remangling...er..remastering). It's called "Legendary Cantors" and includes
>16 tracks
>ranging from Gershon Sirota's "Veshomru" from 1907 to Richard Tucker's
>"Sholom Seconda" from 1947. There's a splendid "Kol Nidre" featuring Manfred
>Lewandowsky from a 1925 Odeon recording.
>
>What's interesting about these tracks is that nearly all of them feature
>organ, an instrument that is not readily associated with Jewish liturgical
singing.>>

Growing up, my father had a large collection of cantorial recordings, many on
78's from the 1930's through to 33rpm long players from the 1950 - Rosenblat
to Moishe Oysher to Malavsky Family Choir - the majority of those pieces had
organ accompaniment, which I always found odd, as I grew up in an orthodox
enviroment where, of course, not an instrument was heard in shul!
Alan Falk
Nefesh Klezmer Band