Re: [78-l] Legendary Cantors

In a message dated 9/7/0 5:25:25 PM, ALANEFALK (at) aol(dot)com writes:

<< What's interesting about these tracks is that nearly all of them feature
>organ, an instrument that is not readily associated with Jewish liturgical
singing.>>

Growing up, my father had a large collection of cantorial recordings, many on
78's from the 1930's through to 33rpm long players from the 1950 - Rosenblat
to Moishe Oysher to Malavsky Family Choir - the majority of those pieces had
organ accompaniment, which I always found odd, as I grew up in an orthodox
enviroment where, of course, not an instrument was heard in shul!
Alan Falk
Nefesh Klezmer Band

Most of the "old" Cantorial recordings that I've listened to have organ
accompaniment. Naturally they were recorded in a recording studio, not a
synagogue.
Check us out for "Old" and a few "New" cantors at:
http://www.hatikvahmusic.com/cantorial1.html

Simon
Hatikvah Music