Re: KlezKanada

I haven't fallen asleep yet, so here are some of my highlights of the
concerts. Khevrisa and Budowitz were both great to hear live, David Krakauer
played a set accompanied by Khevrisa, I'd really love to hear more of that
combination as well. I thought that what Frank London is doing with
cantorial songs on the trumpet was especially wonderful, both solo, and the
piece he did with Adrienne Cooper, Stuart Brotman, et al. This was my first
time hearing KlezMs, I really liked them, and of course I enjoyed hearing
Brave Old World, they did a lot of new stuff since the last time I heard
them over a year ago. Michael Wex, along with special guests, did a jazzy
song about the hep rebbe, everyone was rolling in the aisles... I definitely
need to study Yiddish, does anybody have any recommendations on where to
find a teacher or class in the wilds of New Hampshire?

I studied violin with Stephen Greenman, and took Kurt Bjorling's klezmer
interpretation class. These were both great classes, the level of
committment and knowledge of all the instructors is phenomenal. I also
moonlighted a bit, as Fidl Kapelye and Josh Horowitz's tsimbl classes
beckoned. I learned quite alot from all of these teachers, I've certainly
got plenty to practice for months to come to internalize all of it.

The other best thing of the festival was getting to meet many other
jewish-music list posters in person, as well as number of other folks. Now
it's really time to catch up on some sleep.

Seth

--
Seth Austen
please visit me on the web at http://www.sethausten.com