Jewish music and The Tempest

This weekend I went to the Globe Theatre in London, to see The Tempest. I was
in a seat where you don't see the action much, but you do get to sit next to
the musicians. I didn't know who the musicians would be before I went (a
friend got me in) but here's the line-up:

Violin: Steve Bentley Klein/Joe Townsend
Drummer: Michael Gregory/Phil Hopkins
Double Bass: Andy Lewis/Dave Ayre
Clarinet: Merlin Shepherd/Dai Pritchard
Accordian: Kevin Street/Mark Bousie

List members going on my night would have recognised Merlin Shepherd at least
- he gets to stand over the balcony a lot and invokes storms with his
clarinet. I don't think Kevin Street was playing when I went but he plays a
lot of Jewish music too. The effect during a Shakespeare wedding scene of
having a Klezmer outfit on stage was tremendous. They had big tall hats on, a
little like you see on p111 of Henry Sapoznik's book only taller (it's the
picture with Naftule Brandwein and Shloimke Beckerman in it, in Joseph
Cherniavsky's Yiddish-American Jazz Band).

The intention, according to Nigel Osborne the composer, was to respond to the
director's suggestion that the production have a Balkan character. He writes:
"At the time of Shakespeare [The Tempest is dated 1610/1611] the Balkans saw
a melding of Bogumil gnosticism with independent fraternities like the
Bosnian Church, and Islamic mysticism. Accordingly, I have echoed the sounds
of both Christian gnostic glossolalia and Dervish chanting in the most
profound ritual moments of the play."

I only read that afterwards. For me the music and its execution felt at least
as though it was in touch with the Jewish tradition: the wedding music
started as a slower and muted ancestor of the Heyser Bulgar melody. It made
Prospero a cabbalist for me, with his books and magic; and it put the strange
atmosphere of the Globe, with its attempt to recreate the London stage of
Shakespeare's time, into a kind of perspective: like with the theatre, we
couldn't really tell if the music was "authentic" or not; but it set the
imagination free.

So I heartily recommend the production. The box office number is (44) 20 7401
9919. As for the play itself, I understand it concerns a deposed duke and his
life on a remote island.

I think this is at least slightly about Jewish music. I mention this because
of all the emails I've been getting which talk about talking about Jewish
music (and which now appear to outnumber the ones about Jewish music).

Tom Payne